Bad references

If you suspect that your former employer is making it harder for you to get a new job by giving you an unfair reference, you can make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act for a copy of the reference. Straightforward guidance on how to do this is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office. If there is argument after you have won your case about whether you have done enough to mitigate your loss, it will assist you if you can produce copies of any poor references you have discovered by this means.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *